Imagery is as subconscious as humanity. People have always wanted to manipulate reality. Painters alter portraits using different types of paints and brushes. This is not different with image editing. In the early days of photography, the only way a photographer could edit the picture was by using tinny brushes and a magnifying glass to get the correction done well. In this age of digital imagery, there has been an improvement in many ways. Many editing software is either paid or free.
The following are the top five image editing software
Lightroom has gained popularity over the years. It is part of the adobe inventive collection. It is currently the most popular software in the image-editing world and both the amateur photographers as well as professional photographers and retouchers ones use it. Some of the reasons why many people have started to use the software include the following.
- Lightroom, unlike many editing software, allows the user to create editing paths. This editing path helps the editor to save time in the consecutive images by just pasting the edits of the previously edited image. The created paths are saved on the software and they are accessible just by a click.
- Lightroom also allows the editor to use other people’s presets. There are many presets on the net both paid and free. The availability of these presets expands the creativity and scope of editing to an editor who might be unskilled or newbie.
- Lightroom unlike many software available has more options for editing a photo. The things one can do with Lightroom are numerous and all are professional. The editor can sharpen the image more; add more light, contrast, or saturation. With photographers now copying the traditional film photography, one can add grain to the image as a way of adding style.
- Lightroom gives the editor a chance to add details to the photo such as name and the location where the photo was taken and therefore part of the larger copyrighting process.
- The software accepts more image formats especially the different raw files from different camera models.
Photoshop has been around longer than the Lightroom. It is part of the larger collection of adobe. The software is a product of a collaboration of different people. Together with Lightroom, they are paid package. There is value for money considering the following properties.
- Like Lightroom, one can copy editing path and store them as Photoshop actions. The Photoshop actions help the editor to create a distinctive create path with the editing and therefore develop a specific and unique editing style.
- Photoshop has the largest collection of controlling options in the entire photo editing software. Professional editors mostly prefer Photoshop because it gives people the freedom to work with brushes and other numerous tools to give an amazing piece. Each tool creates a different path to achieving a well-edited photo.
- The new version of Photoshop accepts the camera raw photo format. This is a game changer, especially for professional photographers. Professional retouchers and editors relied on other pricey software to view and edit raw photo formats. One can now view, edit and change the photo format to jpeg for easy sharing and online publishing.
- Photoshop has a retouching capability and the editor can alter, therefore, the image looks like smoothing the skin, adding more texture to the image, as well as adding special effects. An image can also be converted to a poster in Photoshop or add written watermarks.
Sometimes it is good to try free software. GIMP is such a free but a very effective editor in the world of image editing. The software draws many similarities such as tools and capabilities from advanced and premium software such as Photoshop. Some of the main reasons why GIMP is worth trying include the following.
- There are many editing tools on this particular free software. These tools give the editor the best working environment because they can resize, crop and rotate the image without losing a lot of quality. The editing tools are also many like in premium software although sometimes they do not give the editor the same experience.
- Although the software is free, there are no ads. Editing is a process that requires full attention and if the editor keeps seeing ads, the thought pattern is affected. Lack of ads makes the creator who in this case is the editor have a conducive environment.
- The user interface of this software is exceptional. An interface can make or break good editing skills because of constantly looking for tools when needed. The fact that GIMP has one of the best user interfaces makes it a worth trying software.
Picasa is one of the most effective and free software available. The software is not only an editing platform but also a platform for storing edited and unedited images. The software is easily available on the official Picasa website. Some of the reasons why the Picasa is one of the best software include the following.
- The software can view and adjust more image formats compared to other free and some paid software. Before premium software had a raw viewing capability, Picasa was already in use, was, and is still considered as a saver to many editors.
- Picasa apart from editing the different type of image formats; it is also a good software for organizing edits and storing them for future reference.
- The user interface is exceptional. It has the simplest interface in all of this software. Sometimes editors want a simple tool to do most work at any given chance and this is the right tool for that.
It is the best software to any hobbyist editor. Most of the above software are many designed for professional image editors and researchers but this particular software cuts across the board. The following are some of the reasons why the PhotoScape is exceptional include the following.
- The software has the largest inbuilt filters. Filters have become a big concern, especially to the social media age. Having a software that has many filters just for you is not only great but also a trendsetter.
- The software is also aimed at people who want to have the image file converted from maybe raw image to a more common format such as jpeg.
- The software has a brilliant user interface. An interface can make or break good editing skills because of constantly looking for tools when needed.
In conclusion, the overall aim of editing a photo is to enhance how the simple image looks and give it a more breathtaking look. This means therefore regardless of the image software chosen here, (either paid or free) the main concern is if the software can give the editor the desired results.